Sep 10, 2014

So many cupcakes…so little time

by Michelle Douglas

Remember last month, folks, when we started talking about cupcakes. It doesn’t matter if you don’t remember because the operative word in that sentence is CUPCAKES!

But to catch you up to speed, the splendid and very sweet Lyn Morris promised to test drive a tiramisu cupcake recipe she’d found in the July 2014 issue of NZ Healthy Food Guide Magazine. She deemed them a rip-roaring success and here’s the recipe:

Tiramisu Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes

3 teaspoons instant coffee (measure 1) plus extra 1/2 teaspoon coffee (measure 2)
100g margarine or butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract/essence
1/2 C (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 C (200g) gluten-free baking mix (although I substituted ordinary white flour, no problem) with 1 teaspoon baking powder mixed in

50g icing sugar
200g cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon cocoa

Preheat oven to 160 degree C. Line muffin tin. Mix together first measure (3t) coffee and 1/4 cup boiling water and separately, second measure (1t) of coffee and 1 1/2 tablespoons boiling water. Leave to cool. Place butter, vanilla and sugar in a small bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating between additions (mixture will separate). Transfer egg mixture to a large bowl. Stir in half the flour and half the first measure of coffee. Repeat with remaining flour and first coffee measure until batter combines. Divide batter among muffin-tin holes. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and leave for 2 minutes. Make 6 small holes in the top of each cupcake with a wooden skewer. Spoon second coffee measure over cupcakes reserving 1 tablespoon. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool. Mix icing sugar with cream cheese until smooth. Spoon or pipe mixture on tops of cupcakes. Drizzle with reserved black coffee. Dust cupcakes with cocoa and serve.

Man, don’t they look divine!



Lyn added a note: she used Jarrah Swiss Moments coffee and found she had to double the amount of coffee used. So depending on how strong you like your coffee, you might want to play around with those measures.

Thanks, Lyn, you’re a star!

Lyn inspired me to a little cupcake creativity of my own. I had a last minute request for Father’s Day cupcakes...and could they please feature caramel? Yikes! Next to no time to make them so I grabbed a readymade vanilla cupcake mix and made them up. When they were cool I cut little rounds out of the top and filled them with Nestle’s Top’ n’ Fill caramel, put the rounds back on top and dusted with icing sugar. There was nary a cupcake left last Sunday. Enough said. ;-)

Like I said… So many cupcakes, so little time. :) Has anybody else been having cupcake adventures lately?


16 comments:

  1. Oh, yum, I like the sound of both - the tiramisu and the caramel cupcakes. I made some last minute cupcakes a couple of months ago for a bridal shower, plain vanilla with a pink buttercream swirl and a pink and green flower on top. Only problem is that I arrived at the shower to find the colour scheme had changed from pink and green to purple and green. They still went down well, I'm pleased to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I bet those cupcakes looked so pretty, Claire! Shame that the colour scheme had changed, but I bet that's not what people were focussing on as they gobbled them up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Confession, I've never made cupcakes and yet I love baking. Will definitely make these the first. My mouth is watering already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they sound the best, Sue? When I bake I more often than not make a large cake as it's easier to transport, but I've recently discovered the ease and simplicity of opening the lid of a tin and letting all and sundry tuck in (saving on that pesky serving business). :-)

      Delete
    2. Sue... believe it or not, this recipe was the first cupcake recipe, I have ever made. That said, I'm well experienced with normal cakes, muffins and biscuits. I will definitely be trying more cupcake recipes after this.

      Delete
    3. I can see we're all going to become cupcake devotees now. :-)

      Delete
  4. These cupcakes are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yummy, and my team mates at work really loved them too.

    Michelle, thank you for the email letting me know the post had gone live :) I check the blog most days even if I don't comment, but the email was still appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to trying them, Lyn. They look seriously luscious! Your lucky work mates. And you're welcome for the email. After all, you went to the trouble of trying the recipe out for us. We are SOOOOOOO grateful :-)

      Delete
  5. Now see, a premix - we were definitely separated at birth ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those premixes are SO handy. Twins, Amy. There's no other explanation. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Michelle

    These look so lovely and my mouth was watering when I read your last book for all of those cupcakes :)

    I often make cupcakes with the grnadkids when they are over nothing special but they do have decorating them and making a mess LOL if anyone is freinds with me on facebook I am sure you have seen photos :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heaven's, Helen, mine was writing it! I swear I must've put on half a stone…all in the name of research mind. ;-)

      Cupcakes and grandkids! Oh, that's the perfect combination. Lots of fun for everyone. :-)

      Delete
  7. OH! MY! GOODNESS! These look absolutely gorgeous! Michelle and Lyn, you're wicked temptresses and I'm not going to be able to resist trying these delectable goodies out! I'm not a great sweets eater (I love sweet things but they don't love me sadly so I have to watch my sugar intake). But I do indulge very occasionally and these look worthy of an occasion! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know, Sharon, I know! But I do believe these particular cupcakes may be worthy of the indulgence. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Funny you should ask about cupcake adventures, Michelle. I was recently treated to a cupcake and coffee by my daughter. A lovely Bounty cupcake: chocolate and light coconut frosting - pure yum! Best of all it was cupcake sized - not too big to enjoy.

    Love the sound of your caramel ones. Yay, you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bounty cupcake!!! Now that sounds like a most respectable cupcake adventure, Annie. :-) Yum. All the more special for being shared with a loved one too, I imagine.

      Delete