Jan 21, 2015

LAZY HAZY HOT SUMMER DAYS by Yvonne Lindsay

My husband and I are taking a couple of days to ourselves and have been offered the use of a friend's holiday home by the beach. And it's beautiful! 

We arrived on a stinking hot day and were instantly mesmerised by the sea. I have to admit that I wondered whether or not the constant crash of the waves would wear me out but I've found it to be distinctly soothing. I've always loved the water and loved swimming but I'm a bit cautious on that this time around because there's a bit of an undertow here and the waves can be quite strong and there's the recovering frozen shoulder that has plagued me for several months which makes swimming probably a not so safe option for me at the moment. It doesn't bother me, though--I'm happy to observe the waves and the birds and, well, just take a few moments to sit and relax and enjoy.

New Zealand is enjoying a hotter summer than I can remember in a long long time. Yes, we've had some good summers but always interspersed with a great deal of rain, which has dampened out annual camping holiday on many an occasion. So much so that we've pretty much put camping on the back burner for now. 
Our kids are horrified, of course, but then again they're both back at work while we're still on holiday playtime and last night was deeply relaxing as we enjoyed a glass or two of wine and slowly watched the sky change as night fell. It feels like such a privilege to be able to simple stop "doing" and just "be", even if it's only for a few days.

So, that brings us to the beach, where I'm going to watch my husband have a swim while I peacefully munch toast on the deck in the sunshine and let my mind take a break.

What's your favourite way to relax?

18 comments:

  1. "I'm dreaming of a beach holiday." This is going through my head, over and over, to the tune of White Christmas. I'm planning one in February and I can't wait. I hope you have a fabulous time, Yvonne, and come back refreshed and recharged. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lovely relaxing time, thanks, Michelle! I hope you do too!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. We certainly didn't get tired of them during our stay, that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. Definitely anything to do with the beach is my way to relax, Yvonne. I had swimming in the ocean but I love walking along the beach and listening to the sounds of the waves as they hit the shore.
    Bliss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's definitely something very grounding about listening to the waves. I'm with you on walking on the beach vs swimming in the sea these days, though. Sand and salt in "parts" are so much less appealing to me now, LOL!

      Delete
  4. There's something so soothing about a water view and the sound of waves - instantly clears my mind and soothes my worries. We spent a few days after Christmas by the sea in Sydney with many beach walks (strolls, I should say) and harbour rides. Only wish we were still there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a lot of us are water babies, or at least "by the water" babies, eh Bron? Glad you had a nice break after Christmas. I love to be by the sea. I'm only a short drive from a few beaches but so rarely make the time to go and just relax there but being away I had nothing else to occupy my time. BTW, thanks again for posting the blog for me!! :-)

      Delete
  5. Yvonne, I think you've got my idea covered when it comes to the best way to relax. There's something about the beach and water that is so cathartic. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I mention how much reading we did while we were away, too? Hubby isn't usually a big reader because he's more of an Action Man but even he was happy to sit in a chair and read. Bliss!

      Delete
  6. I hear you on the hotter than normal summer Yvonne. My flat gets the morning sun and I found the most effective way to deal with the heat while on leave for Wgtn Anniversary weekend was just to sleep all morning.
    As for what relaxes me, reading, reading and more reading. I also enjoy cross-stitch and embroidery. Feel free to call me weird but I find counted cross-stitch relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I understand how you find it relaxing. I feel the same way about knitting. The counting is, in itself, very soothing. :-)

      Delete
  7. Yvonne

    I love relaxing holidays by the beach I find them very soothing but I also love cruising the water is very relaxing for me

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been on a cruise, Helen, but it's something I'd like to try one day I think. My current meds make me more prone to seasickness, unfortunately, so I'd need some heavy duty counter balance for that, LOL!

      Delete
  8. What a lovely view! There's something so soothing about looking out at all that water.

    Anything where there's a great view, quiet and a glass of wine is pretty relaxing for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you Stefanie. I love a great view anywhere but by water is definitely tops in my preferences.

      Delete
  9. Yvonne, so wonderful to hear you're having that wonderful break! Well deserved, I'd say.

    My favourite relaxation is with a book. I'm under deadline now so I dream of a few days of quiet, away from the computer, with several books, by the water and, yes, with my husband. Sounds like bliss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rushed to complete an outline and then tidy the house before we left. Unwinding came in slow increments then all in a rush. LOL! I'm sure you understand the feeling. All the best with your deadline and with your days of quiet once you're all done!

      Delete