Jan 9, 2015

My Chair is Waiting.

Christmas has been and gone.  New Year's Eve, likewise. The visitors have packed up and headed home - for a while. They're all coming back, plus many more, early next month for a big celebration we've got going.
The spare bed has been taken out of my office and now I have no excuse not to get back to work. My chair is waiting for me. The computer is open and ready. And on the desk beside it is my Christmas present from my lovely editor. Revisions on my latest medical story. :) She did say I could probably manage to write and eat Christmas mince tarts at the same time. Little does she know those tarts are long gone. Not that they went far. They're on my hips now, along with the cake and chocolates.




So this week I returned to work, though I took it slowly. I don't like being inside at the best of times so I figured a couple of hours on the computer allowed me at least that many outside. The summer has been a cracker so far, with high temps and lots of sunshine. Even from my office I can hear the boats out on the water towing skiers or biscuits loaded with shrieking kids.
Next week I will get serious and get stuck in - though I'm not making any promises as I heard my DB mention a fishing trip and then there are the berries to be picked and my kayak needs an outing.

This going back to work thing isn't all it's cracked out to be. There're so many tempting distractions that are far more fun. When I worked at the lab I didn't have a choice, but being an author gives me freedom to do as I chose. That's not always a good thing. Really I have to say thanks to my editor otherwise I'd probably take the whole month off. Then it would be February when I've got a party to organise and cater for. And so on.

Do you find it hard to go back to work after Christmas and New Year celebrations?

15 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat, Sue! I will start a new book today.
    I will....... just as soon as I've surfed the net for a suitable hero look-alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Amy. And I'm getting started after the fabulous lunch DB is creating, along with a bottle of wine. Now there's a hero.

      Delete
  2. So biscuits must mean something different in New Zealand, I think. My mind stumbled over 'boats towing biscuits' and I had to re-read a couple of times before understanding that you didn't mean Yoyos or Monte Carlos or Scotch Fingers. But then my mind is still on food rather than work.. Good luck getting back into the swing, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, try big fat waterproof cushions that bounce along behind boats. But for me a Mote Carlo would be heaps more fun.

      Delete
  3. I was thinking, "how lovely" when I read your editor had sent you a Christmas present, Sue - and then I realised you meant the revisions! LOL

    I'm back in harness - actually, I was sort of on call between Xmas and New Year too even though it was super quiet so I was able to draft lovely long lists of things to do for my dh in the garden. He was soooooo appreciative! ;)

    Good luck resisting those wonderful temptations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I've failed already as DB is cooking a fabulous lunch and opening a bottle of wine. Oh well, it is Friday. There's a new week coming. I can see your man enjoying the list.

      Delete
  4. I hear you, Sue, in so many ways. Hard to get back to work when the lure of summer activities beckons so enticingly. Hard to ignore the extra inches on the hips as well, and I'm finding it equally difficult to get back into some semblance of healthy eating. Those holiday treats are addictive, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very addictive, Bronwyn. How is it I can go most of the year ignoring the call of chocolate only to indulge big time at Christmas?

      Delete
  5. Good luck, Sue! I am back at work too- during a lovely long hot spell of sunshine...the office is too hot, the pool very appealing, but words must be written! Grrrrr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Louisa. I bet your pool is as alluring as the sea beyond our drive, except I'd prefer a pool. I did go for my walk very early this morning before the temp got too high, and I have done a few words, but lunch took over and was soooo good.

      Delete
  6. Sue

    Yes I hear you although I have just retired so more going back to "work" for me but of course there is a lot that I need to do around the house and I promised myself that in the new year I would start but it is so hot here at the moment the air con is on as is the cricket and there are so many great books on my kindle to read :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm right with you, Helen. It's too hot to work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep - definitely found it difficult to return to work on Monday 5 Jan. I was not assisted by the fact that from then until I think the end of the month I've been rostered 1hr lunch breaks. I don't mind that length of lunch break, but just back from leave it's rough, and also after a while having an hour for lunch is a bit of a drag.

    However, we did get a bonus halfday by accident on Monday, because a certain govt department had a really broken IT system to the point that we could not access customer details/accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch, Lyn, that's hard going. Hope you feel better about it all on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, I hate to say it but I'm so glad I'm not the only one finding it hard to get stuck into work. Actually, I started work soon after Christmas, as soon as our guests left (deadline...need I say more?). My problem isn't starting, it's sticking at it. Here's hoping I last the next few weeks. Good luck to you too.

    ReplyDelete