Jul 6, 2016

Favourite Quotes that Inspire Us

If there is one thing a writer needs, besides coffee and chocolate, it is inspiration.  We find it in those aforementioned stimulants. We find it in books, by binging on a favourite TV series, browsing Pinterest, when walking or gardening or sitting in a cafe people-watching.

And we find it in the pithy sayings shared every day on social media and often printed and attached to a pinboard right above our desk. 

Today the LoveCats share some of our favourite pieces of inspiration...not only for writing but for life in general.


STEFANIE LONDON:  "We see things not as they are, but as we are."  
I love this Anais Nin quote because it reminds me that we all see things through our own lenses of experience, and that not everyone will see things the same as we do. It's like my little self-check to be more understanding of the different opinions that I encounter in life. Trying to be more open minded is never a bad thing, IMO!

SUE MACKAY:  Mine is short and to the point: "No one can stop you if you don't stop yourself." (Man Chen)

AMY ANDREWS: "If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write." I think Stephen King is a wise guy and I love this quote of his because I think its easy to forget and where a lot of newbie writers get it wrong. My first advice to people asking what they should do to become a writer is always - READ!

Courtesy of Red Tractor Designs

BRONWYN JAMESON: "It always seems impossible until it is done." (Nelson Mandela)
There are many times--many, many times--when I doubt myself and what I am attempting.  This is a reminder to keep trucking on, to push through the barriers, to get to that magical word:  DONE.

BARBARA DELEO:  I can’t find the origin of my favourite so it’ll have to be our old friend Anon:  “Every kick’s a boost!”


YVONNE LINDSAY:  "Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go." (Hermann Hesse)
My quote resonates because it’s a reminder that sometimes when the door you’re knocking on doesn’t open, it’s because there’s another door you should be opening. I tend to get blinkered with an idea of something I want, to the expense of other things that might work better for me.


MICHELLE DOUGLAS: "Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." (Howard Thurman)
I love this quote because it reminds me that there's more to life than making money and doing housework. Obviously, we need to pay the bills, but we need to make time for our passions too…and we shouldn't feel guilty for following them. I'm pretty certain that on my deathbed I'm not going to be saying, "Oh, I wish I'd done more housework." Life is for living. This quote inspires me to continue living my life as fully as I know how.


KANDY SHEPHERD:  "Just do it." 
My favourite inspirational quote for writers came to me via my husband who stuck the Nike quote on the pinboard above my desk. I am a born procrastinator so this quote is particularly apt for me. It’s such good advice! (That’s not to say that I always follow it!)


ANNIE WEST:   "Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is who you become." (Heraclitus)
 I saw this recently and it appealed to me enormously, I suppose because it’s a reminder that we hold so much in our own hands, if only we take to time to think about what we do and how we choose to live.

*   *   *   *   *   *

Do you have a favourite quote that informs your life at the moment?  Do you "collect" quotes and inspirational messages?  Do they help you, inspire you, motivate you?


7 comments:

  1. Nike's "Just Do It" is my slogan/phrase of the year (and maybe future years too). Instead of leaving stuff on the steps to take up later, I take it up now. If I think of something that needs doing, I do it now (if it isn't a big job - otherwise, those things go on a to-do list). My house has never looked so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list of quotes!! I love reading inspirational quotes particularly on those days I need a boost to get going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are great quotes Ladies one that I like I have use for years I have no idea where it came from but is Treat everyone the way you want to be treated :)

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving these quotes, Bron. There's nothing like a daily dose of inspiration to keep one's nose to the grindstone...and to keep the smile on their face while they're doing it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quotes! They all speak to me - thanks for the boost of inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these quotes. I like to read one every day, not that I'm always then inspired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for collating, Bron. There are some thought provoking ones here!

    ReplyDelete