Sep 11, 2017

Growth Mindset?

I’m celebrating. I’ve handed in my last assignment on my Graduate Diploma in Leadership through Coaching and Mentoring.  It has been a hard road. Trying to fit in study around Chairing the Byron Writers Festival, teaching at Griffith University, writing books, learning piano, keeping fit and I think I have a family around here somewhere, has been really tough.

But I’ve always loved learning new things. I’m a big believer in the concept that you should never stop learning. One of the interesting concepts I learned about is a Growth Mindset. 

The concept of a growth mindset was developed by psychologist Carol Dweck According to Dweck, “In a fixed mindset, people believe their basic qualities, like their intelligence or talent, are simply fixed traits. They spend their time documenting their intelligence or talent instead of developing them. They also believe that talent alone creates success—without effort.” 

Alternatively, “In a growth mindset, people believe that their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work—brains and talent are just the starting point. This view creates a love of learning and a resilience that is essential for great accomplishment.” 

There’s a great animated YouTube clip which explains this very simply.

I certainly had to use my growth mindset to become a published writer. I went to as many romance writing workshops I could find travelling to Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane to do so. I went to every Romance Writers of Australia conference and read lots and lots of ‘how to books’. Of course I also read voraciously in the genre. I knew when I set off on this journey it would be hard, hard work and that only dedication and resilience (I had four books rejected before I was published!) would see me through.

But, I got there in the end.

What do you think of the concept of a growth mindset?

16 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,

    Huge congratulations on getting that final assignment in. That must feel great. I love the idea of a mindset focusd on growth. I do find it daunting sometimes, and other times is seems like an adventure. I think allowing yourself to focus on small changes and growth is the key to making it work. All that effort adds up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Annie. Making little nudges in the right direction all adds up.

      Delete
  2. Great subject matter, Jen! I often worry about today's kids getting their "I Ran in a Race" ribbons, and how that validation for simply showing up will effect their inclination to try harder, to work for what they want, to strive for more. Off to find that YouTube clip! Ally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Ally. I've change how I speak to the kids now - focus on the effort.

      Delete
  3. Huge congratulations, Jen, on having handed in your last assignment for your Grad Dip! Go you, you awesome woman!

    I *have* to believe in a growth mindset or I'll never finish my PhD. ;-) And I've tried to actively change my inner voice from "I can't do it" to "I can't do it...yet" (that YouTube clip nailed it). It's extraordinary what a difference that makes. Our culture seems to fear failure so much, but we writers generally get a crash course in it...so the realisation that it doesn't kill us can be pretty liberating. Great topic! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Michelle, of course you can do it - you are awesome!

      Glad you enjoyed the topic!

      Delete
  4. I really love this. I'm watching The Pixar Story as I type - the story of the birth of PIXAR and modern computer animation as we know it. This company is the result of innovators who never stopped learning and growing and challenging the way things were done. If you haven't seen this documentary, I recommend it to EVERYONE and especially creatives. It's got great examples of growth, resilience, and skill-improvement.

    And congratulations on your assignment. Reading your to-do list gave me a headache!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to go and watch that doco, Clare. Sounds fascinating.

      Yes, that to-do list is way to long - but what to cut???

      Delete
  5. Love this concept, Jen, and love this post. I totally agree that talent only goes so far; it's the hard work, education and resilience that allow the talent tot develop into more.

    And congratulations on finishing your final assignment. I'm sure you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bron, I hope this last assignment goes well.

      I love the concept that it is not all just about natural talent. I love playing the piano - pretty much have zip natural talent but I work hard at it so can play okay.

      Delete
  6. Great post Jennifer, congratulations on your final assignment. I agree that we should always strive to learn more as we get older. Who knew that I would be an author in my sixties. If I had settled for the old adage of retiring gracefully, I would not have created Savannah Blaize. I intend to learn as much about the craft as possible, read voraciously, and give back whatever I can to this fabulous community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, Savannah. The romance writing community is really wonderful. I've made so many friends in this community and received so much incredible support. I wouldn't be published without it and without the help and support from some of the fabulous LoveCats!

      Delete
  7. Woohoo Jennifer on such a fabulous achievement way to go
    I agree we should always strive harder and learn new things and encourage others to do so as well

    have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jen - congrats on finishing your last assignment! I'm sure you'll fly through your studies as you do with everything you do.

    You work really hard and this defines your success - with your career/s, music and of course your writing.

    I think the growth mindset applies to you, in that you are constantly working to improve yourself. You are able to confidently juggle multiple "balls" and make it look easy.

    Well done with the Diploma, you're going from strength to strength xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Joanne. It's been a hard slog but worth it. I reckon we have both worked pretty hard at our romance writing careers!!!

      Delete