Feb 12, 2018

Shopping – love it or hate it?

I live in the small regional town of Byron Bay. It is a tourism mecca. The centre of town has lots of little shops but I very rarely go shopping. Why? Because I really don’t enjoy shopping. I know. Crazy. Aren’t all women supposed to like shopping? But I don’t.

Yesterday, my daughter had some shopping needs that were beyond our local offerings so we had to drive to our closest major shopping centre over an hour away at Robina (yes – in another state). It has all the major chain stories, DJs, Myers etc. With all that was on offer, the only store that I really enjoyed being in was Kikki K – the stationary store. I love all those notebooks, pens, books about being organized etc. I didn’t buy anything as I have so many notebooks already, it is going to take me a lifetime to use them all. But I do love all those pretty items and it was so hard not to add to my notebook collection.
Small sample of my notebooks

But the rest of it, I can leave (well except perhaps for an 85% designer clothes sale).  And as I discovered, so can my daughter. After about an hour she said ‘you know what Mum, shopping is really boring.’ So, like mother, like daughter.

I know we can’t be the only people for whom shopping is at the bottom of the list of fun things to do but I’m beginning to worry as all my friends love it.


So, is there anyone else out there who finds shopping boring? Or are we alone in the ‘shopping is quite boring’ sphere?

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer

    I am so with you I do not like shopping at all and I can't remember when I ever really did, it does nothing for me I go when I have to and that is all LO, I have 3 daughters and they really enjoy it so they didn't take after me but my Mum didn't like it either, so you are not alone there

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone, Helen. There are so many more interesting things to do than shop.

      Delete
  2. H.A.T.E.
    My tolerance for shopping is abotu 30 minutes....I am sooo with you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a shopper unless it's online these days! (altho I did have to shop for a special occasion dress last year and ventured into a store only because I had to find something that fit or could be altered) Here in Florida they are going away from indoor malls and have clusters of stores scattered over acre of parking lots. It's to darn hot to drive from place to place and spend time finding a parking spot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not boring, but not scintillating enough to last more than a couple of hours, and then I have to have a goal I mind. Mindless wandering around shops does my head in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, Sue. Does help when you have something you absolutely have to get.

      Delete
  5. Yup. Boring. Boring as H***.
    I could live without shopping for the rest of my life. However, we need food to live, and I actually enjoy finding specials in the flyers for stocking up, plus I like finding "just the thing" for somebody when not really looking for it. That's the best time, as then I won't need to specifically go out later looking instead (and waste so many hours of my life doing so).
    I scrapbook and write poetry, so I finally figured out that a quick personalized poem off the top of my head, printed and adhered to nice paper with stickers is actually faster for me than driving to the store(s) and poring over THEIR cards. Bonus for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so love handmade cards and poems, Laney. And I too do love finding just the right thing for someone - that does make shopping bearable.

      Delete
  6. Seems like I may be the odd one out here. I love to hit the shops. When I finally had all my children in school I used to spend a whole day at the local shopping centre. I never spent much just used to look at pretty things have a quiet coffee. May be it was just to get away from the house, I’m not sure. Now with my young adult daughters we will go to a shopping centre, we love to discover different ones, most weekends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do make shopping sound lovely, Veronica. I do love having a quiet coffee or two.

      Delete